Does anyone bob for apples anymore? Probably not. This Halloween we’re putting a ghoulish spin on the idea of floating apples: Shrunken Head Punch. Apples carved to look like faces float in a fruity punch, giving the appearance of shrunken heads bobbing in a bowl of blood.
- 2 liters of cranberry juice
- 1 liter of pomegranate juice
- 1 liter of Sprite or Seagram’s Ginger Ale
- ½ cup of grenadine syrup
- ½ cup of fresh lemon juice, divided
- Ice cubes
- 6-8 small apples (firm, sour apple varieties work best)
- Sliced oranges or blood orange slices (for garnish, optional)
- gummy insects (for garnish, optional)
- Peel the apples. Using a paring knife, carve jack-o’-lantern style faces on the apples. To ensure that the apples will float face up, you might want to put them into a bowl of water to see which side will be the top.
- Pour ¼ cup lemon juice into a small bowl. Dip the face side of the carved apples into the lemon juice. This step will keep the “shrunken heads” from browning quite so quickly.
- Put the “shrunken heads” in the freezer for an hour or two. They will then both decorate the punch and keep it cold
- In a large punch bowl, combine the cranberry juice, pomegranate juice, and the remaining fresh lemon juice. Stir well to mix the flavors.
- Slowly pour in the Sprite or Seagram’s Ginger Ale to add fizz to the punch. Stir gently to combine.
- Drizzle the grenadine syrup over the back of a spoon into the punch. This will create an even deeper red, blood-like layer at the bottom of the bowl.
- Add the frozen apple “shrunken heads” to the punch.
- Optionally, garnish the punch with sliced oranges or blood orange slices for a citrusy touch and a contrasting color. Adding a gummy insect to one or two of the apples will amp up the creepy factor.
- Serve your Blood Red Fruit Punch in cups or glasses, making sure to mix the grenadine layer into each serving to create the “blood” effect.
- Anyone brave enough and who doesn’t mind staining their face red can try bobbing for the “shrunken heads” after everyone has been served some punch.