Summer is close to being officially over, but the dog days will linger for a few weeks yet. By this point in the year, we’ve probably had all the ice cream and frozen treats that we can handle, but the outside temperatures still call for a cool, refreshing dessert. Enter the FANTAstic Orange Poke Cake. This served-cool poke cake will delight with its bright orange flavor and will cool with its whipped topping. If you can make a cake from a box and poke it full of holes, you’re ready to make this scrumptious chilled Fanta-based treat.
- 1 box white cake mix (and whatever ingredients are called for, likely eggs and oil)
- 1 3 oz. box orange gelatin
- ¾ cups water
- ¾ Fanta orange (ice cold)
- 1 tub whipped topping (thawed)
To Make the FANTAstic Orange Poke Cake
- Follow the directions for the cake mix. Using only egg whites (no yolks) will make a brighter, whiter cake. The brighter and whiter the cake, the more pronounced the effect of the poking and pouring. It’ll be delicious either way. Follow the directions on the box carefully for whichever option you choose.
- Remove the cake from the oven. Using the round handle end of a wooden spoon, poke holes all around the cake. The more holes, the more places that the orange mixture will penetrate. The more penetration, the more colorful and flavorful the poke cake will be.
- Set the cake aside to cool.
- While the cake cools, prepare the Fanta orange mixture. Boil the water, either in a small sauce pan or in a medium microwave safe container. When the water reaches a boil, add the gelatin. Whisk until the gelatin is completely dissolved. Add the ice cold Fanta orange. Stir well.
- Carefully pour the Fanta orange mixture over the poked cake. Pour slowly and evenly across the top of the cake. The more slowly you pour, the more liquid will be absorbed into the poked holes.
- Cover the cake and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- Remove the cake from the refrigerator. Spread the whipped topping. Cover and return the cake to the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before cutting and serving. For a little extra pizzazz, serve each slice topped with a well-drained mandarin orange segment.